Known (aka WithKnown) is an open source publishing / community platform project. It's a beautiful way to share your story online using a variety of media from any device. Known aims to be easy to install, use and customize. It supports a wide variety of IndieWeb building blocks and principles.
Known has transitioned from a private business entity to a business run as an open collective which users are encouraged to donate and support.
EDUCATIONAL USE CASE 1
Known can be used as your primary blog or website. It supports all the IndieWeb building blocks thus creating a social network out of the open web.
- Greg McVerry uses it as his social stream 
- Chris Aldrich has had a self-hosted Known site (http://stream.boffosocko.com/profile/chrisaldrich) which he's regularly used since 2015
- Audrey Watters previously had a Known site for several years (at aud.life) and wrote about it in 2015 Reclaim Your Domain (With Known)
EDUCATIONAL USE CASE 2
Known can be used as a public or private multiuser social media-like classroom space.
How to use it
Known has a full plugin architecture, making use of PHP lazy loading and the observer pattern. This makes it very easy to create new content types or behaviors.
Known is being developed with the rule that "indie" content - internal posts, likes, etc - are bundled as included plugins in the main source code repository. If you want to POSSE (syndicate) to external sites, you need to install those plugins separately (although they may also be included in a downloadable distribution of the content).
Currently, content includes:
- Posts (articles)
- Status updates (notes)
- Photos (images)
- Events (events)
- Checkins (places)
Supported webmention annotations include:
- Learning Management System
- social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinboard
- Clunky blogging platform with nuisance reminders like Medium
RELATED RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS