We're learning together about ethical edtech! Here's our syllabus with some key resources to explore. If you're an instructor, feel free to draw from this as you design your courses. Find more (and contribute) in our shared Zotero library.
History of edtech
- Ferster, Bill. Teaching Machines: Learning from the Intersection of Education and Technology. JHU Press, 2014.
- Vaidhyanathan, Siva. "The Googlization of Universities." NEA Almanac of Higher Education. 2009.
- Watters, Audrey. "Machine Learning, Machine Teaching, and the History of the Future of Public Education." Hack Education. October 20, 2018.
- Noble, David F. “Digital Diploma Mills: The Automation of Higher Education.” First Monday 3, no. 1 (January 1998).
Education and the commons
- Stallman, Richard. "Free Software is Even More Important Now." Free Software Foundation.
- Swartz, Aaron. Guerilla Open Access Manifesto.
- See also: The Internet's Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz (2014)
Edtech and equity
- Macgilchrist, Felicitas. "Cruel optimism in edtech: when the digital data practices of educational technology providers inadvertently hinder educational equity." 'Learning, Media and Technology' (2018): 1-10.
- Gilliard, Chris. "Pedagogy and the Logic of Platforms." Educause. July 3, 2017.
- Singer, Natasha. "How Google Took Over the Classroom." _New York Times_. May 13, 2017.
- Kamenetz, Anya. "What Do Schools Risk By Going Full Google." KQED. August 28, 2014.
- Yujie, Xue. “Camera Above the Classroom.” Sixth Tone. 26 March 26, 2019.
Critical digital pedagogy
- Stommel, Jesse, and Sean Michael Morris. “If bell hooks Made an LMS: Grades, Radical Openness, and Domain of One’s Own.” June 5, 2017.
- Morris, Sean Michael. “If Freire Made a MOOC: Open Education as Resistance.” Hybrid Pedagogy. November 20, 2014.
- Watters, Audrey. “Reading the LMS against the Backdrop of Critical Pedagogy.” September 8, 2017.
- Bowen, José Antonio. Teaching Naked: How Moving Technology Out of Your College Classroom Will Improve Student Learning. John Wiley & Sons, 2012.
- Bowers, C. A. The False Promises of the Digital Revolution: How Computers Transform Education, Work, and International Development in Ways That Are Ecologically Unsustainable. Peter Lang, 2014.
- Morris, Sean Michael. “A Guide for Resisting Edtech: The Case against Turnitin.” Hybrid Pedagogy. 15 June 2017.
- Lanclos, Donna. "Listening to Refusal: Opening Keynote for #APTconf 2019'. July 9, 2019.
- alternativeTo - Open Source
- Design for Diversity Learning Toolkit
- DIRT (Digital Research Tools) Directory (out-of-date, now subsumed under TAPoR 3)
- EduTech Wiki
- Ethical.net Alternatives & Resources
- Ethical OS - "how not to regret the things you will build"
- Fossdroid - Free and open-source Android apps
- Free Software Directory from the Free Software Foundation
- Internet of Ownership - #platformcoop resources: Platform Co-op Stack and Cooperative Clouds
- No More Google
- Programming Historian (source)
- switching.social - "ethical, easy-to-use and privacy-conscious alternatives"
- Terms of Service Didn't Read