Revision as of 19:59, 31 March 2019 by Autumm (Added clarification about different services and paid options)
Reclaim Hosting "provides institutions and educators with an easy way to offer their students domains and web hosting that they own and control." Use Reclaim Hosting to set up ethical tech like WordPress, MediaWiki, html sites, Scalar, Omeka, Pressbooks, and more. These free open source tools need to be hosted on some kind of server space and be attached to a domain name. Reclaim Hosting provides this hosting and domain name registration for a reasonable fee and they are specifically geared towards working in educational environments.
Note that Reclaim Hosting offers a variety of services but they are all paid services. Some services, like their shared hosting packages, have a small enough fee that an individual teacher could choose to deploy them in a single class. While others services are institutionally based like their "Domain of One's Own" service and have fees that are more aligned with an institutional license.
Institutional web hosting
More than 100 institutions use Reclaim Hosting, such as:
How to use it
- Domain of One's Own Help Guide
- Adaptable course modules on digital issues that connect with the ethics behind Reclaim Hosting
- "A Domain of One's Own." Wired.
- Reingold, Jess. "A Brief History of Domain of One's Own, Part I."
- ---. "A Brief History of Domain of One's Own, Part II."
- Watters, Audrey. "Why Domain of One's Own Matters (For the Future of Knowledge)"
- Groom, Jim. "A Long Short History of Reclaim Hosting"