April 3, 2019 11-2 p.m. Pacific Time (find your timezone)
Calling educators, students, technologists, designers, polemicists, and curious others! Join us for our first edit-a-thon event to help build Ethical EdTech into a tool that can powerfully counter the corporate-surveillance marketers. Help others find useful, ethical, educational tools relevant to their needs.
You can take part in person or online, or both—learn how below!
Participate in person
You can join us with other real people in real rooms in certain places:
- Boulder, Colorado - Institute of Behavioral Science room 155A (12-3 pm Mountain Time)
- Hosted by Nathan Schneider. We'll have pizza, so be sure to RSVP below so we can get an accurate count!
- La Jolla, California - UC San Diego Library, Redwood Room (11 am - 2 pm Pacific Time)
- Hosted by Erin Glass
- College Park, Maryland - Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities (2-5 pm Eastern Time)
- Seattle, Washington - University of Washington, Communications 218D (11 am - 2 pm Pacific Time)
- Hosted by Caitlin Postal
- Cambridge, Massachusetts - MIT, Digital Humanities Lab, 16-635 (2 pm - 5 pm Eastern Time)
- Hosted by Lisa Tagliaferri and Ece Turnator
- Los Angeles, California - UCLA IS Lab, Information Studies Research Lab, GSEIS Building (11 am - 2 pm Pacific Time)
- Hosted by Diana Ascher.
- New York, New York - The Graduate Center CUNY , Room 3317 (2pm - 5pm Eastern Time)
- New York, New York - Barnard, Milstein 107 (2pm – 5pm EDT)
- Hosted by Barnard Digital Humanities Center.
More details on those to come.
Would you like to host a simultaneous in-person edit-a-thon? Let us know at email@example.com.
- Live chat: chat.ethicaledtech.info (no account registration required)
- Twitter hashtag: #EditEdTech
More coming soon!
If you can make it, edit this section and add your name below. (You'll need to log in or create an account first. Check your spam folder if you don't receive an account confirmation.) Be sure to let us know how you'll be participating—online, or at one of the in-person sites.
- Nathan Schneider (User:Ntnsndr) - Boulder location
- Erin Rose Glass (User:Erinroseglass) - La Jolla location
- Ed Summers (User:Edsu) - College Park location
- Sarwat Kazmi (User:Sarwatk) - College Park location
- Jeanelle Horcasitas (User:Jhorcasitas) - La Jolla location
- Viona Deconinck (User:Viona} - La Jolla location
- Katy Fetters (User:kfetts) - Boulder location
- Nima Rassooli (User:Phantomnemo2) -La Jolla location
- Leonidas Mylonakis (User:Lmylonakis) - La Jolla location
- Chris Werry (User:cwerry) - Virtual
- Autumm Caines (User:autumm) - virtual
- Jenn Kepka (User:jennk) - virtual
- Dorothy Howard (User:hexatekin) - La Jolla
- Adele Fitzgerald (User :Adele) - Virtual
- Diana Ascher (User:diana) - Los Angeles location
- Michael Murphy (User:mmurphy) - Virtual
- Rachel Starry (User:rstarry) - Virtual
- Geoffrey Rubinstein (User:Geoffrey Rubinstein) - Boulder location
- Frank Lee (User:Pi lover) - Virtual
- Laurie Hurson (User:Laurhur) - New York location
- Caitlin Postal (User:cpostal) - Seattle location
- Barnard DHC, featuring Nicky Agate (User:terrainsvagues), User:ktakahata, User:moacir, User:elotroalex, User:madihaz, User:ChileInTheCity)
- 30 min: Videoconference introduction Jitsi
- Introductions: Who is here? Where are you and what brings you here? Start with in-person sites, then to online participants
- Welcome and overview from Erin and Nathan: What is Ethical EdTech for?
- Overview of activities and form breakout groups
- 2 hrs: Edit, coordinating chat
- 30 min: Closing discussion Jitsi
- How was that? What did we learn? What are some next steps going forward?
- Strategies for publicizing the project
- Tools working group
- Add new tools to the repository, or add use cases, instructions, and reading materials to existing tool pages
- How can we improve the template for the page structure?
- Ideas working group
- Add articles, questions, and challenges related to ethical approaches to educational technology to our Research page.
- New to this topic? Spend the time browsing the tool repository or the collected Research articles and consider sharing useful materials with others.
- Website working group
- Develop better site design, layout, branding
- Set up templates (so that this appears automatically when new pages are created
- Workflow and process for discussion and debate about entries