Open Badges "are visual tokens of achievement, affiliation, authorization, or other trust relationship sharable across the web." It is an alternative certification system based on open standards rather than institutional authority. Open Badges is a project of Mozilla, first developed in 2011 with the support of the MacArthur Foundation.
Open Badges might be issued as a means of certification for skills and achievements not otherwise visible in traditional educational institutions.
Develop badges for under-recognized skills within educational institutions
Develop badges for non-institutional education
How to use it
- Conventional grading schemes
- Private certification with non-transparent criteria and evaluation
- Gibson, David, Nathaniel Ostashewski, Kim Flintoff, Sheryl Grant, and Erin Knight. "Digital badges in education." Education and Information Technologies 20, no. 2 (2015): 403-410.
- Ahn, June, Anthony Pellicone, and Brian S. Butler. "Open badges for education: what are the implications at the intersection of open systems and badging?." Research in Learning Technology 22 (2014).
- Badge the World, a map of Open Badges adoption